Wednesday, April 07, 2004

M is for Mother...

Just a quick note cuz I thought this was funny. If you haven't read Dan Brown's book Angels & Demons and plan on it and don't like the plot being given away, STOP NOW! I usually don't ruin plot lines but this is critical to the story.

A few months ago I read The DaVinci Code. I loved it and passed it on to my mother who also loved it. So when she saw Angels & Demons, the prequel to The DaVinci Code, she snapped it right up. Since she works so much, it takes her a while to finish a book. This one took about 2 months but she took it with her to Junction last week and told me she finished it. "You need to read it," she told me. "I want to talk to you about it. There was a twist at the end and I'm thinking I must have missed something."

It's never a chore for me to read a book. I read every night at work so I took the book to work and finished it last night. It was REALLY good. I called Mom tonight and told her I was done. "I was bummed, though," I said, meaning that the guy I liked, the camerlengo, was the bad guy.

"I know," she commiserated. "I didn't think he would be the bad guy."

"Yeah, but he turned out to be crazy...the pope having a kid and all that just turned his brain." She didn't say anything at first. I kept going. "But then when he found out that HE was the pope's son!"

"What?"

"You know, when he found out that the pope was his father. Is that the part you skipped?"

"I guess so. I didn't really finish it...after the antimatter exploded, I figured it was done. Did the camerlengo die in the explosion?"

By now I'm just floored. She didn't even finish the book! She said she did but she figured that since the whole plot of the thing had been trying to find the antimatter before it exploded and wiped out Vatican City that when the camerlengo & the hero took the stuff into a helicopter and it exploded, she was done. It didn't seem to matter that there were like 50 pages left!

"Ummm...no. He survived the explosion."

"Really? Maybe you better bring that book back."

"Did you even know that the pope was his father?"

"No."

"Well...no wonder you were confused! You didn't read anything!"

I know now that my reading gene does NOT come from her!


|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?