Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Why We Love Kids

You know how every once in a while you get those forwarded emails about funny things that kids say or write on tests? I love those things, they make me laugh. When my niece & nephew were first learning how to talk it was always fun to see what they came up with.

When Derek & I were growing up, we were no exception. According to my mother, we were walking through the grocery store and I was about 3 or 4 and there was a little boy in a cart crying his eyes out. As we passed him, I told him "That's enough crying, little boy." My husband always says I'm bossy...I guess that started at an early age.

When Derek was 2 or 3, we were shopping in Target and a really good looking woman walked by. Derek held out his arms towards her and exclaimed. "Hey lady! I want you!!" I think my mom was worried about his future as a womanizer after that. Luckily, he got shier when it came to women after that.

What brought these memories to mind was Friday afternoon, I went to Target (apparently the site for all little kid funnies) with Shanon & Elena. Elena was in the cart and coming towards us was a lady with a little girl in her cart. The girl looked at Elena and said "Hi, baby." Shanon started laughing and said, "Did you see Elena's face? It was like she was thinking 'What are you talking to me for?'"

Well, Elena decided that what her mom said was pretty much on target (no pun intended) so at the top of her voice, Elena shouts back at the girl, "WHY ARE YOU TALKING TO ME?? OUTRAGEOUS!!!!" The last part was a nod to Lord Farquad from Shrek. Of course, Shanon is like "Sshhh!" and we don't know if the girl & her mother heard Elena but we did and I laughed til I almost cried.

Another thing she did last week was we were sitting at lunch and Elena was sitting by me. She smiled at me then said to Shanon "He's a nice boy." "No, SHE'S a nice GIRL. Heather's a girl." Elena then rubs my arm and says in all seriousness, "But he has hair on his arm like Daddy."

Yeah, you see why I love hanging out with her. She makes me laugh.


|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?