Friday, July 30, 2004

MORE WITH THE SPOOKY STUFF

Yeah, yeah, another ghosty post. It's just that I was reminded of this incident Wednesday morning at work. I'll start off with what reminded me:

Last year one of our engineers was killed in a car accident. No one touched her desk after that; they just left everything as it was when she left that last day. Later, we all realized that in the engineering cubicle section when all the lights were turned off, there was one that continued to burn even though the switches were off. Yes, you're right...it's the light above her desk. No one has a logical explanation for this phenomenon except that now her desk is haunted. Soooo, Wednesday morning at about 4 or so, my supervisor Nancy was taking some paper back there to dump in the recycle bin. She turned on the lights, dumped the paper then turned the lights back off. As she turned, she caught sight of a silhouette of a woman standing by the cubicles. Startled, all Nancy could think of to say was "Did I startle you?" "No," came the reply. "I just wanted to see who was out here."

"Would you like me to turn the lights back on?"

"No, I like working in the dark." And she proceeded to walk back TOWARDS THE HAUNTED CUBICLE!! Now, Nancy is convinced that this was a flesh & blood engineer but she admits that she couldn't see her and she didn't recognize the voice. And who in their right mind does engineering work in the dark? I think it was the ghost!!

Atmel is haunted, we've all known that. Someone died there once...heart attack, I think. Downstairs in burn-in is supposedly haunted pretty bad but I haven't ever been down there to check it out. It's not that I'm scared, I just don't have a reason to go down there. It's not my job. But I have heard stories about footsteps and lights going on & off....the same old stuff.

On my floor, I've mentioned before that we have a raised floor with big tiles...some of the tiles are crooked and bang when you step on them just right so you always know when someone is walking up behind you. I can't count how many times I've heard the tiles bang and when I turn around there's no one there. I see shadows out of the corner of my eye like someone is watching me. It can get creepy, especially if you're the only one there.

A few years ago, I was loading a machine that was in the corner and I had to stand on a stepstool to put the parts in. I was wearing my blue smock (this is an important detail, not just a fashion statement. Trust me.) and when I stepped down from the stool and turned around, there was somone standing right freakin there, in a blue smock, in my face and then GONE! It all happened in about 2 seconds, maybe less. Someone was there then not. I was alone at the time, Morris & Dona both on break. There was a metal bucket across the way from me and for a while I thought maybe I had caught my reflection in the bucket but I stepped up and down from the stool about ten times & never had the feeling that there was someone there again. It was really pretty scary!

Stay tuned, I'm sure I'll remember more ghost stories soon! :D


|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?