Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Local Interest

Oh my! 2 posts in one day? I may be getting back into the swing of things!

I was reading in the paper this morning something that anyone familiar with
Colorado Springs might find interesting. Today is the 75th anniversary of the
statue of William Palmer being erected. That's right, that stupid statue has
been in the way for 75 freakin' years!!

For those of you not familiar with this piece of "art" I'll explain. William
J. Palmer founded this lovely city so to honor him they made this big bronze
statue of him on his horse. That's all well & good but did they put in a park
or on a street corner? NO!! They placed the things smack-dab in the middle
of an intersection!!! Seriously! Right in the middle of Platte & Nevada
there he is.

Palmer High School is right there on the corner and I know (since I know a
couple Palmer graduates) that it's almost a tradition for the seniors every year
to spray paint the horse's privates very bright colors. That's always nice
for the tourists to see.

Not to mention it makes left hand turns a pain in the ass!!!! I remember one
time being in my little Honda CVCC and needing to turn left onto Nevada from
Platte and I got stuck in the middle of the intersection next to that damn
statue. If he hadn't have been there, I could have turned! Historical maybe but
why does it have to be in the middle of the damn street??


|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?