Monday, October 04, 2004

The Darndest Things...

Derek told his buddy Sean (who just recently started blogging) that because
he had kids he would never run out of blogging material. I am a firm believer
in that kind of mentality as well. My numerous posts about Elena, my friend's
daughter, can attest to that. But lately I've been watching Collin's daughter
Jordyn on my days off. I don't think there's been a day yet where she hasn't
said or done something that's made me think, "I could blog about that."

Thursday afternoon, Jordyn & I were on our way to pick up her brother Justin
from school. For some reason, she started talking about people having babies.
I asked her if she had a baby of her own, would she rather have a boy or a
girl? "A girl," she answered right away.

"What would you name her?" I'm a big freak on names...I love names, knowing
what they mean, why people are named what they're named...blah blah blah...
(My name, for instance, is Scottish and means "flowering weed." Yay me.)

"Jones."

"Jones what?"

"Just Jones. That's a nickname for Jordyn, didn't you know that?"

"No, I didn't know that."

"Don't you think that's pretty?"

"It's...interesting," I replied, wondering where a 4 year old comes up with
this stuff. But then she surprised me even more.

"If I had a baby of my own, I would have to get Mommy & Daddy to change the
baby's dipeys cuz there's no way I could handle that on my own!"

"You know, when you DO have a baby of your own, YOU have to change the diapers.
I don't think Mommy & Daddy are going to help you." I heard a heavy sigh come
from the back seat as she digested this information.

"Fine then. I'll just hold it over the toilet."

"But..." By this time, I'm trying not to laugh too terribly hard. I AM
driving, after all. "Little baby's can't talk. How would you know when he had
to go potty?"

"Oh, I would know! I'll just hold it right over the toilet so I won't need
dipeys at all!" She was so pleased with herself and her solution to the
dipey-changing problem that I just let it drop. The vision of her holding a
poor naked baby over a toilet, however, is permanently etched in my mind!


|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?