Friday, October 29, 2004

Go Read A Book!

I was driving to have lunch with Collin today and I heard a radio commercial for Blockbuster Video. In this commercial, this woman is complaining that all her friends have abandoned her Book Club for watching movies. Then the announcer suggests she change her Book Club to a Movie Club to get her friends back. Not only does she agree with this but proclaims, "I never liked reading much anyway!"

Big PBBBBBBT!! to Blockbuster for that commercial.

There's not too many more things I like to do more than read a good book. As long as I can remember, I've loved books. When I was little, I had people read to me when I couldn't. In fact, the only memory I have of the night my brother was born was my Aunt Peggy watching me while Mom & Dad rushed off to the hospital and I carried her a stack of books for her to read to me. She didn't want to read all of them but I made her.

When I learned to read soon after that, I read whenever I could. I was always one of the top readers in school and participated in every reading project the teachers threw out.

Both of my grandmas are voracious readers as well, which must be where I got this reading gene. My parents don't read much...Derek hates reading...I just don't understand. In '85 Derek & I spent 6 weeks with my good grandma & grandpa in Grand Junction and I picked up a paperback to read before bed on a whim. It was The Golden Unicorn by Phyllis A Whitney. I stayed up all night reading it and after that was hooked on Whitney's books. Through her I was introduced to Victoria Holt who is my favorite author of all time. Her book The Road To Paradise Island is my fave and I've read it about 4 times.

After a while I veered from historical romance and got caught up in horror. Stephen King, Anne Rice, Dean Koontz, Peter Straub...all favorites of mine.

Now at work since my shift is 12 hours and all I really do is sit around and watch as the machines test my parts, I read every minute of the night. If I'm lucky, I can finish a book a night. Recently I was introduced to Terry Pratchett by Collin and I absolutely adore his books.

So my point is that reading is better than movies!! Reading opens the imagination and expands the mind! More people should do it. Movies are fine, I love movies, but there's nothing better than curling up with a good book!


|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?