Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Preventing Burnout

I've mentioned before that one of my job titles at work is the illustrious one
known as "BUDDY TRAINER." People here take that position seriously. Manage-
ment expects all us buddy trainers to go to special classes throughout the
year to successfully deal with other people, motivate the trainees, etc etc.
Tonight was a 2 hour class on "Preventing Buddy Trainer Burnout."

I KNOW I suffered that when I was training Stan. And we have a new lady
starting in a couple of weeks who I might have to train so I figured this would
be a good class to attend...that and it was mandatory* but anyway...

It was a good class overall. Interesting at times and much better than sitting
there handtesting all night. We were given a packet with all the tips and
tools needed to overcome BT Burnout such as relaxation, exercise, laughing,
massage. At the beginning of the packet was the following exercise that I
wanted to share with you. Try it now:

"Picture yourself near a stream...
Birds are softly chirping in the crisp, cool mountain air...
Nothing can bother you here...
No one knows this secret place...
You are in total seclusion from the world...
The soothing sounds of a gentle waterfall fills
the air with a cascade of serenity...
The water is clear...
So clear that you can easily make out the face of the person
whose head you're holding under the water.

There now. Feel better?"

Yeah. That's how I feel sometimes!

__________________________________

* Since this class was mandatory for every buddy trainer there were a ton
offered throughout the month of October. I chose the 10pm class tonight just
to get it over with. All the other BT's had chosen later dates. I told my
supervisor that I didn't want to go by myself so she went with me. By the
time 10pm rolled around, Nancy & I and one other lady were the only ones in
the class so Nancy called the other 4 buddy trainers from my floor and had
them come to the class. Ask and ye shall receive! Whooo!!


|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?