Monday, December 06, 2004

The Airport Of DOOOOOOOOOOM!

My very first plane ride came when I was 5 1/2 years old. Mom, Derek & I were
going to fly to Grand Junction to visit Grandma & Grandpa. I was so excited
and remember that I got a coloring book and some crayons from the stewardess
(she was still called that back then) and Mom pointed out to me where our house
was when we flew over. Our first leg of the trip was from Colorado Springs to
Denver where we would change planes and hop over to Junction.

It didn't take long to get to the capitol city and we had about an hour before
we boarded our next plane at Stapleton Airport. Mom took Derek & I to the big
plate glass window that overlooked the tarmac and pointed out the plane we were
going to be riding on. I was fascinated. The first ride here had been so cool
and this plane looked even bigger. I was thrilled with the prospect of getting
more crayons and coloring books! I looked up to tell Mom that and realized
that I was alone.

5 1/2 years old and ALONE in Stapleton Airport! Mom was nowhere to be found! I
completely & totally panicked and burst into tears, crying for my mommy! I was
running blindly and some man stopped me and asked me if I needed help. I just
pushed on past him, crying my heart out. I looked EVERYWHERE for her. I
remember being terrified that she had already boarded the plane and I was stuck
there in Denver. What would I do?

Finally, I happened to look into a snack bar and there she was with Derek,
buying sodas. I ran up to her, bawling, and she looked down at me and asked
why I was crying. SHE HAD NO CLUE I HAD BEEN LOST!!!!!! She thought I had
been with her the whole time!

I mentioned this story to her the other night and she doesn't remember it at
all. *sigh* I teased her that she had had Derek with her, that was all that
mattered. (For those of you who are new to Matted Spam, read my very first
post EVER to see how I'm positive Mom favors Derek over me.)

So there's my airport tragedy. For what it's worth. :)


|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?