Thursday, December 02, 2004

A Lost Friend Found

I saw a good friend of mine today that I hadn't seen since last June. His
name is Troy and he's been my best friend for 15 years now. Currently, he's in
a correctional outfit...I won't go into why although a few of my readers
already know the reason. Suffice to say, this is why it's been so long since I've
seen him.

BUT! I recieved a phone call three weeks ago from his primary therapist
saying that I was Troy's choice to be an outside contact for him, meaning that we
could only communicate by letters and the phone. The letter thing had been
going on for a couple months but getting to talk to him would be great so I
agreed to meet with the therapist and Troy this morning.

He has rules where he's at and one rule was that before outside "talky"
communication could be established, I had to meet with them and learn the rules.
The big rule was NO 3RD PARTY CONTACTS. Now, when they said that this morning,
I was thinking that that meant Troy couldn't say to me, "Go tell Derek that
....blah blah blah." And then I would tell Troy Derek's reply. Nope, that
wasn't it. The deal is that we cannot discuss anyone who he doesn't have prior
approved contact with. So I can't talk to him about my family, my boyfriend,
my friends...only me, him & his parents are safe subjects.

So now here's my quandry. What the hell do I talk about? I have a feeling
our first conversation will be something like this:

Me: Hi!! How are you?
Troy: Good, how are you?
Me: Good. How are your parents? (He has prior approved contact with them
so this is okay. Don't worry.)
Troy: They're good.
Me: How's work?
Troy: Busy but okay. You?
Me: Same. {long pause while I search for an appropriate topic} You know my
Mom BUZZZZZZ!

See, I have this vision of Troy having a buzzer that whenever I mention a
taboo topic he'll have to buzz me. It'll be like playing a game. Should be fun!

But it was good seeing him. When you see someone at least once a week for 14
years, it's weird all of a sudden not seeing them at all!


|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?