Tuesday, March 01, 2005

He Can Call Me Flower If He Wants To

I've started walking on my break again at work. I used to walk 2 1/2 miles around the neighborhood but it's been a while so I'm breaking myself back into it gently. Tonight I did about a mile and ended up taking a route that I never took before. And tonight, I ran into a skunk.

I was toodling along, listening to Evanescence when I saw something in front of me. At first I thought it was a cat and then it waddled under a street light & I realized it was a skunk! I stopped cold at first and watched him. He must have sensed me cuz his little feet sped up and his little butt was just a-waggin' as he ran away. I crossed the street and kept an eye on him, not wanting to be sprayed.

When he went underneath the next street lamp, I noticed that instead of the normal white stripe down the middle of his back, he had a white stripe on either side of his spine. He looked beautiful! Very glossy and pretty and soft. But smelly, therefore I didn't attempt to try to catch up and pet him or anything. Besides, he hid under a bush and that was that.

As I approached the main doors at work, a coworker was standing outside smoking and asked if I had been walking alone. I told her my skunk story and she asked what I would have done if I had been sprayed. "You'd have to go home," she said. "Yeah," I agreed, "but I wouldn't want to get into my car & have it all stinky. I think I'd find someone I didn't like and ask for a ride home."

Postscript: about 4 years ago, Christina & I were on our break and went to King Soopers for a snack. There was a guy there who had been sprayed by a skunk and was looking for something to help deodorize himself. I felt so bad for him - he really smelled awful! I don't ever want to be that man!


|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?