Monday, June 27, 2005

Why, I Oughta...

I've been going on about the Great Blue Heron that hangs out at Quail Lake across from work for a couple weeks now. It's gotten to be a habit to look for him every morning and usually he doesn't disappoint. Until yesterday.

To make my point, I have to go back to last Wednesday morning. Prescilla & I were doing our usual 5:30am walk and we saw our bird hanging around on the north end of the lake wading through the water. As we made our way onto the south side, we watched him fly gracefully to the east side and settle on top of a large cement buttress on the edge of the lake. He looked so kingly standing there, straight as a pin, his reflection glowing beneath him in the dawn. We couldn't get over how amazingly cool he looked.

As we got closer, Prescilla pointed out that Dick B., one of the senior engineers, was coming our way. We had been seeing him for the past few months, coming into work early to walk around the lake and we wondered if he was doing it for fun or for his health. Personally, I don't care. I don't like him much - I had one run-in with him when I first started here 8 years ago and I thought he was a jerk. I haven't yet changed my opinion of him and after this, I don't think I ever will.

He was walking along the sidewalk towards us when suddenly, just as he passed the heron, HE THREW SOMETHING AT HIM!! AT MY BIRD! Of course, the heron flew away, heading towards the lake in front of The Sheraton Hotel. Prescilla & I were outraged! We couldn't believe it! I hollered, "That... that.... DICK!" What an appropriate name that man has! Why would you throw something at such an awesome creature when it hasn't done anything to you??? I was so mad... he couldn't hear our outburst, however, because he was wearing headphones but when we walked by him, I gave him a good rasberrying!!

I also cursed him, hoping he had the worst day ever.

Now yesterday morning when we went walking, the heron was nowhere to be seen. If Dick chased it away, I'm going to be very upset! I haven't even gotten a picture of him yet! Collin suggested I find a heron mask and the next time I see ol' Dick I give him a "run-by thwacking" while wearing the mask.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the heron just over-slept yesterday & I'll see him in a few hours... but if not, that Dick better watch out!


|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?