Wednesday, August 03, 2005

One Number Off

One of the nice things about the place I work is that right up the hill is a branch of my bank so when I need cash, it's just a quick jaunt to get some money. Monday night I did just that before going to get dinner at Wendy's. Except this time the ATM machine was out of order!

When something like that happens, something that doesn't fit into my "routine," I get miffed. I sat there for a while, trying to decide what to do. Go to the grocery store and get food there? But I really wanted Wendy's but I didn't want to get out of the car... I ended up going to 7-11 on Nevada Ave and using their VCOM ATM.

It was busy in there but the machine was free. I quickly swiped my card and started punching buttons. I asked for $20 and got it. I grabbed the receipt and took off. It was all so easy. Too easy...

Tonight at dinner with Collin & the kids, I reached into my purse for my phone and I saw the VCOM receipt. I remembered that they usually print out your bank balance and I decided to see what mine was. Imagine my surprise when I saw a balance of $47!!! I knew I had more money than that! Upon closer inspection, I realized the receipt said that I had asked for (& supposedly received) $100!!!

Of course I start to panic. There was an 800 number on the receipt to call so I did... an electronic voice told me to call my "financial institution." I rang up the number on the back of my ATM card but of course, being close to 9pm, there was no one there. In the midst of my panic, Collin asked if my card number was on the receipt.

You know how they only show the last four digits of the ATM account on receipts? The number on the receipt was ONE NUMBER OFF from mine!! We went to the ATM at my bank, which thankfully was operational tonight, and checked my balance. Everything was fine and so far the $20 I withdrew last night hasn't registered. It looks like I ended up with someone else's receipt but the odds of the person before me being one digit off from my card is... well... freaking phenomenal!

All's well that ends well is the moral of the story tonight, kids!!


|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?