Monday, March 13, 2006

A Little Sorrow Talk

"Between the news of holy war & holy need, ours is just a little sorrow talk." - Duran Duran, 'Ordinary World'

Mom & Dad & I returned home yesterday after being in Grand Junction for my Grandpa's funeral. It was a long trip highlighted by the horrible snowy weather from Vail Pass all the way to C-470. But we made it.

The quote above captures perfectly how I felt this week, especially Friday, the day of the funeral. To me, my Grandpa's passing was huge news and I felt everyone should know about it. I seriously kept expecting it to be on the news, to see shots of the cemetery service or something. Then I would remember that there was bigger news to be reported other than what had happened in my family.

As far as funerals go, Granpa's was a good one. It was upbeat and a lot of friends and family got up to speak about him and say wonderful, kimd things. That wasn't hard to do because Grandpa was a wonderful, kind man. I held it all together until the end of the funeral service when they started handing out the flowers off of the casket. I think that just symbolized the end for me, that it was over and he was gone and there would be no more hugging him or joking with him or trying my hardest to beat him at a game of Oh, Heck*. Thank God my Dad was standing behind me when I lost it or I probably would have fell on the snowy ground.

My most irrational moment came just before the church service. The viewing had just ended and they needed to close the casket for the funeral. Two men went and folded the white quilt lining inside and shut the lid. I was so mad at them for shutting my Grandpa in there like that. I knew I was being irrational and the men were very nice to all of us but I was still mad.

I hated having to leave my Grandma behind when we left yesterday but she's still got family in town to look after her so I know she'll be okay. I just worry. I think I'll be making a lot of trips over the mountains from now on.

Thank you, also, to everyone who commented or sent cards &/or flowers or called, expressing their sorrow and condolences on our family's loss. It means more than you know.

*=If you've never played Oh, Heck...it's a card game that is a favorite among Mom's family. Grandpa loved it and played it masterfully. He was always the one to beat. The last thing he did Sunday night before leaving us was to win his last game. There couldn't have been anything more fitting.

Labels:



|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?