Monday, January 28, 2008

My new hero

**Side note: The spooky whisper will be played on this Wednesday's episode of the Half Hour Power Hour! Go to Derek's site to hear it!**

When the Oscar nominations were released, they also put out the reactions of the stars up for the prestigious award. When I read Daniel Day-Lewis's reaction, I thought it was very classy: "You put me shoulder to shoulder with a group of fine actors. I'm proud to be in their company and to have the broader recognition for the film is a lovely thing."

As if my estimation of him couldn't get any higher, he dedicated his SAG award to Heath Ledger, even though he had never met him: While accepting his award as outstanding male actor in a leading role – for There Will Be Blood – Daniel Day-Lewis gave a moving tribute to Heath Ledger, who was also honored in the annual "In Memoriam" montage. Recalling several of Ledger's most iconic roles, Day-Lewis called the late actor an inspiration and "unique," before dedicating the trophy to Ledger. "Of course, in Brokeback Mountain he was unique," Day-Lewis said. "He was perfect. And that scene in the trailer at the end of the film is as moving as anything I have ever seen." Asked backstage why he'd decided to dedicate the award to Ledger, he said, "I suppose that's all I've been thinking about for the last few days. I never met him. I thought he was beautiful. I just have a very strong feeling that I would have liked him very much as a man. ...I admired him very much."

What a classy guy. I didn't have a fave in the Best Actor category but now I really hope he wins.

Labels: ,



|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?