Tuesday, February 05, 2008
Starting off slow
Before I get to January's books & movies to bore Dad, I'd like to say Hell Yeah!!!! to Eli Manning and the New York Giants for showing the Patriots up and proving to the world what losers Brady & his crybaby coach are.
Okay, on to business. Books:
1. Anthology - The Beatles This is a huge book - not just long but the size of my torso! I think I gained some muscle from lugging it around for a week! But size matters aside, this was a fascinating read...the story of the Beatles told in their own words. And the pictures are amazing!
2. Man In Black - Johnny Cash I looked for this book for a year and finally found it at the library and was so disappointed in it. He skimmed stories and seemed to gloss things over with religion. Not what I was expecting.
3. The Darkest Evening of the Year - Dean Koontz This was a good story and it made me CRY!! The story itself is heartwarming enough to make me tear up but the fact that Koontz's golden retriever Trixie passed away and at the end of the book was a picture of her, well...I was a bawling baby after that! But seriously, this is an excellent read, just like 95% of his stuff!
4. The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory This movie comes out soon so I figured I better read the book. I'd only had it for 3 years! It was good and laced with enough historical fact to make it interesting. Afterwards, though, I needed the true story...
5. The Six Wives of Henry VIII - Alison Weir I started this book about 2 years ago and never got past Anne Boleyn. So this time I read the whole thing and loved it! This is my BOTM...Alison Weir writes history with such flair that it's never boring. You really feel like you know these people that lived 500 years ago. I cried when Anne Boleyn was beheaded and I felt the horror when 17 year old Katherine Howard faced the same fate. I felt betrayed right along with Katherine of Aragon and marveled at her pride.
6. The Children of Henry VIII - Alison Weir Basically the sequel to the Wives book...it's not near as big as the previous book but you get to know Mary, Elizabeth, Edward and even Jane Grey in this one.
And on to the movies....it really was a slow movie month....
1. The Cat From Outer Space I remembered loving this movie when I was little...it sure didn't hold up throughout the years. Even Jordyn was bored with it. In fact, we didn't even finish it!
2. Safety Last!
3. An Eastern Westerner > 2,3 & 4 were all silent movies staring Harold Lloyd. They were all incredibly funny.
4. Ask Father
5. Grease I got this for my birthday and immediately popped it into the DVD player. LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!
6. Juno Hands down the MOTM! This was absolutely wonderful - very well made and funny as hell. Then it turns around and makes you cry. Do not miss this movie!!
And something new: I'll list the TV shows we watch when we finish a whole season:
TV1. Six Feet Under (Season 1) I had always wanted to see this show and the first season was on sale at Best Buy for $20 so Collin picked it up and we were hooked right away. I love everyone in this show, even Brenda and her psycho brother!
TV2. Six Feet Under (Season 2) This season was just as good but left us with one hell of a cliffhanger. Thank God Season 3 was right there and ready to pop in!!