Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Back Pages

There's a section in our local paper called Back Pages. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before...it prints what was newsworthy 50, 75 & 100 years ago. Some of them can be pretty entertaining. I liked the "100 years ago" in yesterday's paper & wanted to share it with you:

"Littleton - the offices of the county commissioner are again in a state of siege. The doors have been barricaded and the loopholes for the guns have been opened. This was caused by a decision of Judge DeFrance in favor of the old commissioners. The office of the county commissioners was captured in a raid of the new officials last December and at that time it had looked as though there would be a civil war at Littleton."

Now...this was 1905. I kinda thought things were civilized by then. I guess not in Littleton. And did they vote those "new officials" into office in December and the old guys refused to budge so the new guys had to raid? And now that Judge DeFrance sided with the old guys, the new guys aren't giving up without a fight? At least, that's what I'm getting from the story. I'd love to get the rest of the tale...maybe I'll have to go down to the Pioneer Museum where they have all the old Gazette Telegraphs and see if I can find the articles.

Labels:



|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?