Monday, August 22, 2005

Tears On My Pillow

A couple nights ago I was talking to Jordyn about music and she was telling me that Keith Urban's song "You'll Think Of Me" sometimes makes her cry. That got me to thinking about the songs that make me cry and why. Here's what I've come up with:

Lisa by Lita Ford - It was written about her mother and shortly after the release of the single, her mom passed away. It's very poignant and sad and Lita Ford uses all her passion singing about Mom.

Empty Garden by Elton John - Written for John Lennon after his death...it's just so sad to think that a brilliant life can be snuffed out in the blink of an eye.

Where've You Been by Kathy Mattea - Just like reading Nicholas Sparks' The Notebook, anything having to do with an old couple in a nursing home and one doesn't remember the other except for brief glimpses breaks my heart. I played this song for Mom once and when it was over, she was bawling and she sternly told me never to play that for her again!

Written In The Stars by Adam Pascal & Heather Headley - From Elton John & Tim Rice's musical Aida, the love story that this song summarizes is so sad that when I went to see the play in Denver, I was crying before the curtain came up. It's the whole star-crossed lovers angle that gets me.

On My Own by Lea Salonga - Another Broadway great, this one from Les Miserables. She's so sad and lonely and heartbroken and in love with someone who will never love her...I think everyone has felt this way at least once in their life.

Without You by Badfinger - You knew this was coming. Actually any Badfinger song can make me cry if I think about the injustice while I hear it. But this one has always made me sad, even when I was small and didn't know who Pete Ham and Badfinger were.

That's all I can think of for now. What amazed me about the conversation with Jordyn, though, was that I was talking music with a 5 year old and she was saying things to me like, "'It's Still Rock 'n' Roll To Me' is a short song but it's great." That someone that young knows that song. Plus she said, "I know who sings 'Have I Told You Lately That I Love You.' Rod Stewart!" I'm so proud of her!

Labels: ,



|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?