Tuesday, February 07, 2006

And In This Corner...



For my birthday, Collin bought me the Bret "Hitman" Hart DVD - it's a 3 DVD collection all about my favorite professional wrestler. I'll admit that I used to be waaay into wrestling...Derek & I used to sit in front of the TV in anticipation every Saturday at 4pm to watch an hour of WWF Wrestling. One afternoon it was preempted for something stupid and Derek actually called the TV station to complain!! But we were hooked! We had a favorites - mine were usually the good guys like Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat and The British Bulldogs. And then one day The Hart Foundation came out to wrestle - I took one look at Bret Hart and was down for the count. Man, he was CUTE!!!

I got to see him wrestle live once up in Denver and I brought along a handmade sign that said, "Bret Hart I Love You!" I was about 13 rows back but he saw it and smiled at me! :-) There were 3 guys sitting in front of us - my Mom had accompanied Derek & I to this event...we dragged her along to a lot of wrestling things... - anyway, these guys were making fun of me because I liked Bret Hart. One turned to me and said, "You know Bret Hart is gay, right?" And I immediately shot back, "You wish!" Mom was shocked. She thought I was always the quiet one...not that what I said was bad or anything...

Anyway, anyway...I'm blathering on here so I'll get to my point. The other day I was in Target and I bought a pink & black Mickey Mouse sleep tank. It's cute & comfy and I wore it to bed the first night I had it. Subconsciously, I must have thought, "These were Bret Hart's colors when he wrestled" because I had a dream* about him. I was backstage at a wrestling event and all these wrestlers were walking past me - I remember seeing Hunter Herst Helmsley and Nikolai Volkoff but I was there to see The Hitman! I was standing behind some barriers and there he was! The girls were going crazy, chanting his name and he was kissing them all on the lips! I was so excited cuz I was gonna kiss Bret Hart! Well, he got to me, looked at my pink & black tank top in appreciation then laid one on me! Then I woke up.

This dream made me realize that I hadn't yet watched the DVD that Collin had bought me so Sunday morning when I got home from work, I popped it in to watch while I worked on my Thank You cards.** The first disc was like a biography of him and his matches & titles. They showed snippets from the match where he & Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart*** won the WWF Tag Team Championship and I started laughing. I couldn't help it - they showed the date: February 2, 1987. The reason I was laughing was because I now knew the exact date that I got kicked off the cheerleading squad when I was in high school!!

I missed 3 games because I didn't have transportation and per the rules of Cheerleading, I was kicked off the team. I got home and was telling Mom who was lecturing me about the responsibility that I had thrown away, blah blah blah and during a lull in the conversation Derek piped up with, "The Hart Foundation won the Tag Team Championship last night." I was all excited and started asking him questions and Mom blew up! "You care more about some fake wrestling belt than you do being kicked off the team!!!" Well...yeah. But it amused me that seeing that match on the DVD could bring back a memory like that!

* = I called Mom last night and was telling her about the dream. When I got to the part where Bret Hart kissed me, Mom yelled, "It's Bret Hart!" I was like..."Yeah, he was kissing me!" But she said he was on TV. As soon as I mentioned his name, he was on TV, talking about some Bret Hart Fan Club or something. What are the odds?

** = I've started a new hobby - making cards. Shanon started doing it a while back and I thought it was a great idea. Something a little more personal than a Hallmark card. I made 3 Thank You cards and Collin scanned them for me...I'll post them on Thursday for you to see.

*** = Mom cracks me up. One afternoon we were driving somewhere (I was in high school) and out of the blue she piped up with, "If you married Bret Hart but hyphened your name with Knight, you'd be Heather Knight-Hart...like Neidhart! Hahahahahahahaha!!!" I loved that she was thinking I could marry Bret Hart! But to come up with the pun on his partner's name...classic.

Labels: ,



|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?