Monday, June 05, 2006

The Rules Nazi Rides Again

This past weekend I got the urge to go to the library and I dragged Collin along. Not like I needed to go - I have plenty of books waiting to be read but I had a hankerin' so we went. After I finished ravaging the bookshelves, I made my way over to the music section where Collin was flipping through cd's. Next to the cd shelves is the lounging area where people can sit and read quietly. While I was looking at the music, I was aware of someone talking very low behind me about books but it didn't really bother me.

Suddenly, this bullhorn of a voice shouts out, "YOU DO KNOW THERE ARE SIGNS THAT SAY YOU CAN'T USE CELL PHONES INSIDE, DON'T YOU? THERE'S ONE RIGHT OVER THERE THAT SAYS YOU HAVE TO GO OUTSIDE IF YOU'RE GOING TO TALK ON YOUR CELL PHONE!" I realized that the low talking I had been hearing had indeed been a young girl talking to a friend on her phone while she sat in one of the chairs. The bullhorn belonged to a battleaxe of an old woman sitting across from her. The young girl didn't even reply to the old lady, just kept on talking to her friend. "I'M GOING TO TALK TO SOMEONE ABOUT YOU!" And she stormed off.

Now, because I was paying attention to her, I heard the young girl say, "It's just some old biddy yelling at me. She's ten times louder than I was with her complaining." And that's the truth! I never would have paid one lick of attention to the cell user if the old lady hadn't started her screaming.

Pretty soon, I see her barreling back towards our area. "YOU ARE VERY RUDE," she says. The girl replied, very calmly, "And you are very loud." The battleaxe didn't even blink an eye. "YOU ARE VERY RUDE AND THE SECURITY GUARD IS ON HIS WAY TO TALK TO YOU." "Okay, thank you," the young girl said. By this time she had hung up her phone and was quietly reading. After about 5 minutes, one of the ladies who worked at the library came and very politely explained their rules on cell phone usage and the girl apologized and said she would take it outside the next time.

I wish I had had the guts to tell the old lady she was being more of a nuisance than the younger girl but I didn't feel it was my place to barge in.

Labels: ,



|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?